Online travel agencies – also known as OTAs – are some of the most valuable partners a tour or activity supplier can have. As you know, they can help you increase your company’s brand awareness, reach a wider audience, and ultimately sell more tickets. However, not all OTAs are the same – quite the opposite! In fact, each one has its own product catalog, offers specific services, and attracts a different type of customer. That’s why it’s important to understand their unique characteristics, so you can make an informed choice about which one will really help your business thrive. In this article, we’ll tell you everything you need to know about Civitatis, a prominent website dedicated to the world of experiential travel. In particular, we’ll take a closer look at how to become a Civitatis supplier, what you need to get started, what fees they charge for your bookings, and much more! Without further ado, let’s dive in.
What is Civitatis?
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in Madrid, Civitatis is widely recognized as the leading online travel agency for tours, activities and day trips in the Spanish-speaking area, including – among others – Spain, Argentina, Mexico and a large chunk of the United States.
Today, Civitatis hosts more than 81,800 experiences spread across 3,670 destinations, which can be booked around the clock by its 14 million customers. Below you will find some key information about Civitatis provided by Similarweb, a renowned web analytics and market intelligence platform.
- As of July 2023, Civitatis has an average of 6.6 million visits per month.
- People who browse Civitatis tend to be highly engaged: their typical session lasts about 4 minutes and they consult over 4 pages each time.
- Civitatis is incredibly popular in Spain, where it ranks among the 350 most visited websites of the year.
- The OTA also performs well on a global scale, being one of the top 10,000 most visited sites in the world.
- It’s no surprise that Civitatis attracts visitors mainly from Spanish-speaking countries: 45.87% of its traffic comes from Spain, 9.81% from Argentina and 4.23% from Colombia. The portal is also gaining recognition in Brazil (8.40% of total users) and Italy (5%).
- From a demographic perspective, Civitatis is particularly appreciated by people between the ages of 25 and 34 (older Zoomers and younger Millennials). On the other hand, the gender distribution is basically equal.
- Nearly 19% of Civitatis’ traffic is driven by online advertising, demonstrating the company’s strong focus on online marketing.
- Civitatis app for Android has been downloaded over 1 million times and has an average rating of 4.9/5 stars, which means it is very well regarded by its users. The iOS version is equally appreciated with an average rating of 4.8/5 stars.
The advantages of Civitatis
Are you still wondering whether or not to partner with Civitatis? Let’s take a look at the main benefits:
- Civitatis selects its partners with care and attention; in fact, they never publish the same product or activity in a destination with two different suppliers. This means that being featured in their catalog will give you plenty of visibility.
- As the data above shows, they can help you expand your reach in the Spanish-speaking market.
- In addition to Spanish, the Civitatis website is also available in English, French, Italian and Portuguese.
- You won’t have to sign an exclusivity clause or offer special discounts to Civitatis clients.
- 24/7 support and the ability to update your listings in real time.
- No minimum stay, meaning that you can cancel your partnership at any time.
Fees and commissions
Unfortunately, Civitatis doesn’t disclose the commissions it charges for bookings made through its platform, as they are negotiated individually with each partner. The good news is that there are no fixed costs associated with your account: uploading and maintaining your listings is completely free.
Competitive Landscape: Civitatis vs. Viator vs. GetYourGuide
Overall, Civitatis is less popular than GetYourGuide and Viator, its two main competitors. According to Similarweb, these two platforms welcome well over 20 million visitors per month, while Civitatis is stuck at 6.6 million. The situation is completely different when we turn our attention to the Spanish-speaking market. In Spain, Civitatis is by far the most popular OTA, as evidenced by the fact that GYG and Viator do not appear in the list of the country’s 500 most visited sites.
How to become a Civitatis supplier
Still don’t know how to become a Civitatis supplier? Just follow these simple steps:
- Head over to the Civitatis Supplier Platform.
- Click the “Registration Request” button to begin the registration process.
- Fill out the form with the required information. You will need to choose a username and password, provide your company information, and describe the services you want to sell (you may also include a catalog).
- Your application will be reviewed by the Civitatis product team according to their internal guidelines. Some of the criteria they will consider include price, value, and perceived popularity of the tours or activities you offer. Don’t forget that the Spanish OTA only lists one supplier per product in a given destination.
- If your application is approved, you’ll need to provide the Civitatis team with your company’s registration documents, liability insurance, and bank account information.
- The Civitatis team will create your listings based on the information provided during the registration process.
- As mentioned above, there are no fixed costs associated with your account and you can close it at any time.
Optimize your listing on Civitatis
Being listed on Civitatis is just the beginning: to get the most out of your presence on this platform, it’s essential to optimize your offers. For best results, follow these recommendations:
High-quality photos – Use high-resolution, visually appealing images that accurately represent the experiences you offer.
Detailed descriptions – Be as descriptive as possible by highlighting what makes your tours and activities unique and why customers should choose them.
Customer reviews – Encourage customers to leave reviews on your Civitatis listing, as they can increase your credibility and attract more bookings.
Availability – Update your availability regularly so customers can easily book your experiences.
Integration with Regiondo, Europe’s leading booking system
Once you’ve become a Civitatis supplier, managing your listings, bookings and customer relationships is the next big task. However, this process can be streamlined and made more efficient by integrating with a robust booking system like Regiondo.
Centralized management – Having all your bookings from different platforms in one place is a game changer. Regiondo consolidates all your bookings from Civitatis and other channels and provides a unified dashboard where you can easily manage your reservations, track your business performance and have a clear overview of your operations.
Real-time updates – Regiondo integrates with Civitatis to provide real-time availability updates. This means that when a booking is made, the system automatically adjusts the available slots across all platforms, eliminating the risk of double bookings and ensuring a smooth experience for your customers.
Simplified communication – With Regiondo, you can easily communicate with your clients, send automatic confirmations and reminders, and keep track of all their information for better service and relationship management.
Increased efficiency – By automating tasks such as booking confirmations, reminders and availability updates, Regiondo allows you to save time and reduce manual work. This increased efficiency gives you more time to focus on what really matters – creating and delivering exceptional experiences for your customers.
Easy setup and support – Setting up Regiondo and integrating it with Civitatis is easy, and Regiondo’s support team is there to guide you every step of the way. For more information, please visit our knowledge base.
All in all, if you’re trying to break into the Spanish-speaking market, there’s no better ally than Civitatis. The OTA’s global reach, coupled with its robust and easy-to-use platform, offers a golden opportunity for businesses looking to expand their customer base. If you’re already a Regiondo customer, you can easily connect with Civitatis through our Channel Manager. If you’re not familiar with our state-of-the-art booking system and would like to learn more, schedule a free demo with one of our consultants.